Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday

Sunday's are usually church days for us. And like many families, getting it all together in the morning and making it to church on time poses an interesting challenge. I promise with all my heart that before marraige, my husband was not chronically tardy... he wasn't. For the last 25 years, it's been a constant battle. I'm learning (about time!) to distract myself in order not to be such a nag... or to simply get in the car and go, as being late EVERY time you go to church is quite embarrassing. We made it to church as the organ started playing and 'skidded' into place.
Phew...

Anyway, today was nice. One of my favorite things in the world is when one of my children takes part in the service. Our church has many children and worshipers which take part and it's always a moment that is quite humbling when you realize that you are in service to other church family members. Today, my son was Crucifer and it was the last Sunday of Christmas. To watch him enter the sanctuary, holding high the cross, and solemnly and slowly make his way forward to the alter is sure to produce a lump in my throat no matter how many times I see it. Clothed in a simple white robe, it is his right and his responsibility as a member of this church to participate. As a parent, I can't help but believe that children who know their importance in a family of God will also remember this when they are faced with difficult decisions. The moments of reverence and respectfulness have to color the other times for a teen and in the world that we live in, that's a blessing. As they grow in the church, to accept their role as a part of God's family, I've been blessed as well.

Today's Biblical lesson was Matthew 2.1-12, the story of the Majii finding the Holy Family, and we had liturgy that gave us reflections as we enter a New Year. The music was beautiful and the santuary peaceful and serene.

As my husband was also taking part as an usher, I sat by myself. During the greeting moments, several friends and families asked if I'd like to join them, and while I appreciate the gesture, I needed nothing other than to worship together, in a place with my greater church family to feel very, very blessed.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise God, all creatures here below: Alleluuia! Alleluia!
Praise God, the source of all our gifts!
Prasie Jesus Christ, whose power uplifts!
Prase the Spirit, Holy Spirit! Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment