Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Daisy sits!

So, it's cold... and no, though my personal thermostat is rather wonky, I'm pretty sure that it's cold.... in South Carolina... in May!

And I have my baby tomato plants outside hardening off and my even more precariously small pepper plants...

and an angel wing begonia, which had actually reached the ceiling in it's indoor location, that was repotted today...

and the two penis plants...


Ok, so they are actually plumaeia plants that I could not resist after we'd taken the tour of the greenhouses at Disney World some many years ago.  We have lovingly (ok, begrudgingly) cared for these two plants for years and years and we never get anything more impressive than two massive phallic stalks.

I mean we jokingly said that we'd grow them for wedding flowers for our then early teenage daughter.  And  every single spring and summer we coddle and fuss and make all kinds of  'to do' over the plumarias, which reward us by standing sentinel and stately and occasionally bearing a few awesome leaves on top.  By 'we' here, I mean me... with the exception of the boys giving them the awesome name of 'penis plants', the plants have been my personal cross to bear.
The daughter has grown up, gone to college and to medical school and gotten married with nary a plumaeia blossom having shown it's face.

Sigh...

Anyway, they can't get below 40 degrees or some such....

and it's cold outside...

And for some reason, I still care...Perhaps I should go watch the weather to find out WHY is so unseasonably cold tonight... but I digress...

Anyway.  I went out onto the front porch to retrieve the plants and when I opened the door, Daisy sauntered in....

Now Daisy has lived here for many years... and for the most part, she asks for little, and she likes to be left alone.  Most days, she dislikes, immensely being singled out for petting and she especially despises any sort of need to get in the car and go, oh, say, to the vet.  In all this time, she has NEVER come into the house.

I open the door and here she prisses...

Daisy... in the house...

She goes right over to the table with the dog treats on it, barks twice and SITS DOWN.

Daisy has never , ever, never, ever sat on command.

That little rascal... she has been watching the pup training,this week, as I've been working with Tank, and she has been looking in the door apparently, to see where the treats were coming from.

The little bugger walked right in, barked and SAT.

Daisy got a LOT of treats... and she got petted

and then she freaked, because freaking is what Daisy does best.

She barreled out the door, mouth full of treats, back to her pillow on the porch.

Maybe the plumeria will bloom this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment